First of all, Cake & Cows has a brand-spanking new layout! Like the last one, the header of this layout was also illustrated by my amazingly talented older sister, who you should follow on Instagram, if you’re on.
The occasion is not just because I needed some colour on my blog – or to translate from this Bollywood song of yore: “Gimme colour, Gimme colour, Gimme colour, Gimme colour, Gimme colour.”
I wanted a new layout because Cake & Cows will be celebrating a milestone – its one year anniversary (or birthday ?) next week – Friday, March 24th to be exact.
I know it’s not a big deal considering some blogs have been around for much longer and a one-year anniversary is nothing. But it’s big for me. I’ve been blogging since 2003 and I don’t think I’ve ever stuck with a blog name longer than a few months (other than Whimsical – but with the exception of perhaps one person, no one would know that). Cake & Cows seems like my first real blog; it’s almost like my baby. I have people come up to me and even before they ask how I’m doing (or perhaps they already know because they’ve read it), they make some reference to my blog. Frankly, nothing makes me happier to know I’m not the only person who reads this stuff. I’d like to say I’d continue to blog even if I knew I was the only one reading, but the truth is, I probably wouldn’t. So, if you’re reading this, I want to thank you for helping me get to this point. Because of you, I’ve learned that I do not have commitment issues!
If I was super cool like some other bloggers, I’d have some kind of giveaway. But if you’re a regular reader, you know I’m the farthest thing from cool. So I won’t be doing that.
Instead, I’ll answer some questions about myself (I needed a segue, okay?). Suma Fiore nominated me for a Sunshine Blogger Award. This award comes with no gold statues, but much better – a set of questions I get to answer! I’ve always loved pretending to interview myself. Now I don’t have to pretend!
- What do you struggle with mostly in life? I wish I had a more sophisticated answer, but it’s body image for me. My other struggles come and go, but this one has been ceaseless – and frankly useless – for the past 8 years. Some struggles are good, or at least good can be learned from them. But no good has come from this obsession of wishing I could look a certain way.
- What are you wearing right now? Khakis, a black shirt, and an old-lady-looking purple-flowered sweater blouse on top. I went to a masjid open house and thought I should be dressed semi-professionally today.
- Have you ever colored your hair? What color? Do you want to? What color? I wasn’t allowed to colour my hair when I was younger. I read somewhere though that you could dye your hair naturally using berries, so I attempted to dye my hair red one time with raspberries. I was in middle school then. It did not work. I only wasted a bunch of raspberries that someone could have used to bastardize an otherwise delicious chocolate cake. Oh well. Now that I can dye my hair, I have no desire to. I believe that God gave us the hair colour He did for a reason. There is wisdom behind this and I agree with it. I like my black hair.
- What’s your favorite and least favorite ‘ism’? (activism, narcissism, feminism, racism…) My favourite ‘ism’ is either monotheism or socialism – I admit, I struggled with this and had to look for ideas. Narcissism and racism suck, but nationalism needs some hating too.
- What’s your favorite kind of grub? Anything with sugar and chocolate in it, let’s be honest. But chocolate cake is definitely on the top of the list. Does that count as grub? It’s also never a wrong time for pizza, or anything with bread and cheese together, basically.
- Give me some pet-peeves Lack of symmetry, not putting things in their designated place (Mr. Rafia!), most Instagram posts – I’ll be kind and not name specifics, impromptu decisions, the list can go on.
- Do you like any celebrities? Dislike any? Give me some names and tell me why. RICHARD SIMMONS – read my post, people! I dislike all others.
- What makes the world go round? God. I’m not trying to be a pompous zealot with this answer, either. My belief in God is what allows me to take it all in and wake up each morning, even when I don’t want to. I mean, literally. It’s tough getting up for the fajr prayer, but knowing that I must is what gets me to do it.
- What did you do last night? I attended an event called “How can Muslim women be allies?” and then I read in bed until I fell asleep. Fun!
- What kind of chips are your favorite? Chocolate chips ;)
- Best moment of 2017 thus far? Turning 30 was great the day of, but not so great the few weeks after when it finally hit me. I am 30 and I still have no clue what I am doing with my life.
Okay, this post has been long enough for now. Happy belated St. Patrick’s Day, Happy early Nowruz, and I don’t know what else. Oh yeah, happy belated 311 Day. Okay, I really need to end this thing now.